Monday, January 10, 2011

How About We Work On Not Being An Asshole?

First off, let me say, sorry I haven't been around lately. I'm up to my neck planning Baby Butterbean's birthday party (it's on Saturday y'all, hold me. Oh, and check back next week for pics!) and I've been extremely sick to boot. But, I had the urge to blog tonight because I've got to get something off of my chest.

A few months ago, a friend of mine (you know who you are, and hopefully you don't mind that I'm talking about this!) came up with an excellent idea. She shared this idea with me, and a few other people on twitter. Then, to make a long story short, one of the other people basically hijacked my friend's idea and passed it off as her own. An "idea plagiarist," if you will.

Now, let's pause for a minute, and let me say, the reason that I'm being so vague about this is because I, in no way, have any right to speak up about this. It's not my place to say something to the idea plagiarist, seeing as how it wasn't my idea in the first place. And, if I went into detail about what my friend's idea was, it could possibly tip off the other person because they also read my blog.

Now, when I first met this other person, it was incredibly clear that she took herself too seriously. I felt like she looked down on me because I was some small time blogger with a handful of followers, while she was some internet superstar. She was all about business and I felt like she met people with the sole intention of getting blogging material. Like I was auditioning to be a character in her writing. Am I making any sense to y'all? Let's just say that my first impressions weren't all that great. But, as we all know, I don't hide the fact that I can be a bitch, so I decided to calm my mean girl side down, and give her another chance. 

Since our first encounter, my opinion hasn't really changed. 

So, in the last few weeks she has taken my friend's idea and ran with it. Leaving the impression that she came up with it, and giving absolutely no credit to my friend. Now, here's the thing, my friend is an insanely sweet person. I don't think it's possible to not like her. We've talked about this whole ordeal frequently, and, to put it in her words, she "decided to take the high road" and not say anything to the other person. I have to say, I really respect her for this. I would have handled this entirely different. It's taking everything I've got not to say something now. Or at least call her a fake bitch. But, I just couldn't keep quiet any longer. I may not be able to say anything to the person directly, but I can at least put my opinions in print. That's the whole reason for having a blog, right?

Here's the bottom line, don't be an asshat. Give credit where credit is due and don't step on people just because you think you're more popular than they are. You may have more blog followers, but I promise you, that person that you treated like shit is a better person than you are. And I'd rather be her friend any day.

8 comments:

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

You have been MIA. Or I have. I'm sorry about someone taking your friend's idea and using it as their own. I noticed the same thing the other day regarding a post I did. But who knows if she read my blog first or at all. The ideas were similar but whatever. Maybe we were both on the same page and did not know it.

If I were you or your friend, I'd say something. Not in an ugly way but just something along th lines of - I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does she follow y'all on twitter? Is that how she found out and then copied?

Anyway, good luck with the party. :)

andygirl said...

dude. bad form. I want to know what happened. bc that is just wrong.

kudos to your friend, though, for being such a mature player. I don't know if I would handle it so well.

mylittlebecky said...

fuck. that. let's go kick her ass. unless it's me. then i'll kick my own ass. i'm very flexible.

pinkrunningshoes said...

if they think they're better than you just call them an Asschapeau instead :D

~ purplecrazies

liz said...

Ugh that's so unfortunate! But kudos for taking the high road, that's really hard to do! Just come up with an even better idea and cut her out of it!!

Melissa (A Gracious Calm) said...

I'm with Becky - fuck this shit, let's kick some ass.

~KS said...

You have every right to say something!!! I don't get people. How hard is it to give a shout out to people when they come up with a kick ass idea?!?! Sheesh!!

And cannot WAIT to hear all about baby Butterbean's bday!!!

brandy-son Zen master flash said...

I still every idea that is on my blog and don't give a single person credit. That's how I roll, ya'll!!!

Okay - that's not true but I do think that I need to start doing something like to get more followers since my lame "original" ideas aren't working out.

I really want/need to know what the idea was...darn...

Pin It button on image hover