Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Don't Make Me Eat My Words

One whole day after I publicly profess my love for Houston, something happens that makes me almost regret it.

I'm not sure if this is national news yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it is.

Basically, the short story is that a teen from Houston, named Chad, was arrested for burglary with some other teens. When he was arrested he fled. Now, let me pause for a minute and state that I think it's stupid that he fled. I've never been in any trouble, and I side with law enforcement most of the time, so I can't sympathize with this kid when it comes to that part of the story. I do, however, think what happened next was completely unnecessary. An officer clip Chad with his car, causing him to fall to the ground. After he fell, Chad put his hands on the back of his head and it seemed pretty clear that he was giving up. He was then surrounded by officers who began to beat and kick him repeatedly. In the video it even shows them kicking him in the head.

Like I said, I've never been in trouble, and the worst thing I've ever done is speed, so I pretty much have a huge amount of respect for law enforcement officers. I work with them on a daily basis!  But I do know that there are officers who've abused their authority in the past, and I also know that things like this happen at times. But it's completely uncalled for. This kid was clearly giving up, I don't see why they felt the need to beat him the way they did. Criminal or not, this kid didn't deserve this. I really hope that a few bad apples don't spoil the bunch, because there's no way all of the officers can be this way in a city as awesome as Houston.

4 comments:

B said...

I hate hate hate hearing stories like this :( It seems all too common.

At least now you can devote your heart back to Austin, where it belongs! :)

mylittlebecky said...

so. sad. i hope he's ok? it's like giving up is not enough sometimes when their adrenaline gets too pumped up.

andygirl said...

so sad. I pretty much feel the way you do. I grew up in a small town with honest, good cops.

but when I lived in Los Angeles, I heard all sorts of horror stories. I even had one kind of scary run-in. corrupt cops are so scary. I've heard of some stories like that here in PDX and I just hope it's not true.

J said...

B - You know I'll never give up on my love for Austin!!

Becky - the kid is ok, the officers are currently being investigated for this whole mess.

Andy - It honestly breaks my heart to hear stories about corrupt cops, mostly because I want to raise Baby Butterbean to be able to trust officers. How do you explain to a child that not all officers are good??

Pin It button on image hover