Friday, March 11, 2011

Perspective

I woke up to news of tragedy this morning, just as everyone else in the world did.

I sat in front of my tv and I watched the videos that were shot during the earthquake, I saw the photos of the aftermath, I watched the footage of the tsunami as it hit Japan. As with any other disaster, I couldn't wrap my head around the images on the screen. My heart wretched for the victims and the families. Words couldn't be formed and tears fell from my eyes for complete strangers.

All of this occurred before my daughter woke up.

When I heard her first peeps through the monitor I ran in to get her out of her crib. I held her tightly in my arms and I thanked God for every blessing in my life.

It's a shame that it takes something as devastating as an earthquake, a tsunami, a flood, a fire, or a terrorist attack to make us step back and look at the things that we're thankful for in our lives. We all move to fast to stop and breathe. To be present in our lives. Our friends drift away, our loved ones grow weak, and our babies grow up right before our eyes and we don't really see it. People say that life happens in the blink of an eye, and it's true, because we're all running through life and letting it speed right past us.

As I write this, there are families who have been torn apart by todays events. Parents who've lost children, children who've lost parents, wives and husbands who've lost their best friends. And yet, they still hold out faith. Faith that their loved ones will be found. And they're thankful for the ones who are there with them.

All day I've been thinking how I handle losing my daughter or my husband. To have someone whom you love so much, who is such a great part of you, just ripped away from your life like that. One minute they're there, and the next they've vanished. I cannot count how many times I've cried today. For the victims and, selfishly, for myself. I've already let a year of my daughter's life fly by. I feel like I didn't take enough pictures, shoot enough video, give enough hugs. I'm constantly running behind and rushing, just like everyone else.

But, it's time to stop. To make a conscience decision, and actually change my life. I want to slow down, I want to actually live my life. I want to cherish every hug, every kiss, and every laugh. I want to let go of my past and stop worrying about the future. I want to live in the present, in the now. Because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow isn't certain. All we really have is today.

Tell someone you love them, take that walk in the rain, stay up all night laughing. Whatever you want to do, just do it. Because you never really know if you'll have the chance later on in life.

Now I'm off to rock my baby to sleep before she's too big for me to do it. Please send a prayer, a thought, a good vibe to those who were effected by today's events.

3 comments:

Ms. Salti said...

Wonderful post. Couldn't agree more with you about slowing down and being present enough to actually live our lives!

Jen said...

I love you so hard.

Also? Amen.

And I feel like I could have written this post right now. Particularly the living life on purpose portion, which has been my mantra lately. I'm done being stuck, complaining about the way life currently is. I'm not happy so I'm changing it. No matter what it takes. I want to look back on my life, and my daughters childhood, with fond memories.

Ken said...

Beautifully put.

Pin It button on image hover