Friday, April 8, 2011

The Chair

Just a head's up, I'm skipping this week's Fitness Friday post because I wanted to post this, and I'm not sure I've got time to do a second post. But! I'll be back next Friday with an all new check-in post. Hopefully with link ups to the rest of the Shred Crew!

While my mother was pregnant with me, she and my brother went to an estate sale. My brother, who was 5 at the time, and was apparently very excited about the upcoming arrival of his sister, found an old rocking chair at the sale that he insisted my mother buy. He said it was the perfect chair to rock his newborn baby sister in. It was solid wood, with scrolled arms. The cushions were a yellow and brown mix of tweed threads. Very... 70s-ish. But, my brother loved it, so my mom bought it.

For the next 18 years that rocking chair sat in our house. It never fit with our decor, but it was so comfy and held a special place in our hearts. Eventually we wore the straps on the seat out from sitting in it too much. When I graduated from high school, I moved off and never gave any thought to that old rocking chair.

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago. I was pregnant with Baby Butterbean and neck deep in designing her nursery. The old rocking chair was the last thing on my mind. In fact, I'd almost completely forgotten about it.

I knew I wanted her nursery to house special things, not just all brand new store bought furniture. Her crib was going to be new, but as for the other furniture, they were going to be things that I had when i was a kid, and a very close friend of the family was hand making her a cradle. Basically, I wanted everything in her room to have memories. To be meaningful. To tell a story.

When I finally came around to deciding on a rocker or a glider, I just couldn't pick one from the store. None of the new one's fit just right. Then my mom stepped in and said that she wanted the rocker to be a gift from her, so, I forgot all about it. Then came the day that Baby Butterbean arrived. We spent 6 days in the hospital, and by the final day, I was so ready to come home. When we got to the house, my mom was there waiting on us. Along with a surprise. She had taken that old, forgotten rocker, and had it restored. And it was beautiful. I rocked my baby to sleep that night in that old rocker. I spent many nights in that rocker the first couple of months. I was either rocking her, feeding her, or just watching her sleep. She was so tiny that she could lay in the rocker and not touch the sides.

Last night she woke up crying around 3. I got up and went in to her bedroom to see if I could soothe her back to sleep. I ended up rocking her for an hour in that chair. I thought back on all of those sleepless nights, and I found myself crying after a minute or two. Just in the past 15 months my little girl has grown so much. She can now climb into the chair all on her own, and when I rock her in that old chair, she sits up in my lap. It's a lot different than that first night.

I look at that old chair, and I'm overwhelmed by it's specialness. There is no telling how many memories that old thing holds. The countless nights that I spent rocking my baby in it, and that my mom spent rocking her baby in it, as well as the memories of the family who had it before she did. I look at everything in Baby Butterbean's nursery, and I see a story in every piece of furniture. Everything is special, just the way I wanted it. But the most special piece, the one with the greatest story, is that old rocking chair. That's the piece that I'm most proud of.

3 comments:

Melissa (A Gracious Calm) said...

It's so nice to have something that is more than just functional but also means something too!

andygirl said...

oh that's so sweet and special! how lovely. your mom is obviously awesome. :)

B said...

Awww...you totally made me tear up :)

We need to see you two pronto, before Baby Butterbean is in preschool or something!!!

Pin It button on image hover