Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Key to My Heart is Cheese

Ok, guys, lean in really close, I've got a secret to share. You know those recipes on the back of food boxes? Ya know, like mashed potato boxes (don't judge, I make them from scratch at times!), or mac and cheese boxes? Well, I found out today that those recipes? Are actually pretty good! I know, I was shocked!

Let me set the stage. Lunch time rolled around and I found myself craving something cheesy. That's pretty much a daily occurrence around here. Anycheesy, I ventured off into the kitchen to whip me up some mac 'n' cheese. Now, I don't know how it works in your house, but we take the easy way out in ours. Which means I cook the noodles, and then we put cheese sauce in. Easy cheesy. So, I opened the box and dumped the noodles in the water. And then I saw it. There, on the back of that blue box, was a recipe. Complete with a picture. And it looked pretty good. I read the ingredients; mac and cheese, ham, peas, milk, and shredded cheese. Now, I'm like a 5 year old when it comes to peas, I absolutely despise them. But, I love broccoli, and I just happened to have a bag in my freezer. So, I decided to make my own version of this cheesy casserole.

And it turned out so delicious, I knew I had to share the recipe with y'all! You're welcome.

Now, it needs to be understood that when I cook, I don't "measure" things. I pretty much just eyeball it. But, for everyone else's sake, I'll post what the recipe called for. Ready?

1) 1 package mac and cheese (duh)
2) 1 cup chopped ham
3) 1 cup frozen peas (or broccoli)
4) 1/2 cup milk
5) 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Ok, after you've gathered all of your ingredients, start the noodles and your broccoli. Or peas. Whatevs. Once they're done, drain them both and then prepare the mac and cheese.
Forgive the crappy pictures, all I had was my iphone and the lighting in my kitchen is horrible. Oh, and my counters are blue. We like to keep things retro up this biznatch.



mmmm, cheesy



teeny tiny trees

I thought about adding more broccoli, but let's be honest, I was more concerned with more cheese than more veggie.



Next you add the chopped ham. Again, you can add as much as you like. I added about 2 cups. I like my ham.



Add the milk and mix together.



Scoop into a casserole dish and top with shredded cheese. The recipe calls for mild cheddar, but all I had was the Mexican four cheese mix. It came out tasting just as good! Then you throw it in the oven and cook at 400 for 15 minutes. What comes out is pure cheesy deliciousness.



excuse me while I wipe my drool

My batch made about 4ish cups. And let me tell you, it was soooooooo good! And extremely easy. I mean, so easy, my husband could make it. Easier than hamburger helper, easy. Easy like Sunday morning. Wait, what? Anyeasy, we loved it, and even Baby Butterbean loved it, which says a lot, seeing as how she only likes waffles, strawberries, and peeps. I'm totally serious. After we ate and I sat there in a cheesy food coma, I got to thinking about the endless possibilities that this dish offers. I mean, you could swap the ham with any meat (bacon, anyone?) and you could add tons of veggies to make it a bit healthier. (If you do, let me know. We all know I'm not doing that!)

So there ya go, folks. My new favorite cheesy recipe. Now, go forth and cook!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Summer Athena said...

looks damn good except the HAM! i hate ham!!!! but i do like me some bacon.

Suburban Sweetheart said...

I want to eat thissssss.

C@r!ie said...

you had me at cheese.....
I'm totally going to make this.

Pin It button on image hover