Friday, June 24, 2011

Must Be Doing Something Right

TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
By Maya Angelou

We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.

Love arrives
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.
Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.
We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

 
Five years ago, on a hot June morning, I married my best friend. Five years ago today.
 
In five short years we've experienced so many things. We've moved around like nomads, traveled as much as we could, fought like cats and dogs, loved harder with every day, cried many tears and laughed so much our bellies hurt. We've lost loved ones and gained a beautiful daughter. We've built a wonderful life together.
 
There were some people who said we wouldn't last. I was all of 20 years old, and we hadn't even been together a full year. But we knew we were meant to be together. I remember that morning as though it was yesterday. I remember the butterflies in my stomach, and I remember the tears of joy that ran down my cheeks. I remember looking into my husband's eyes at the end of the ceremony and seeing nothing but love looking back at me.

He's been a wonderful husband. He's cared for me when I've been sick, he's held me when I've been sad, and he's busted his back to give us a good life. Not to mention, he's the best father in the world. Our little girl simply adores her daddy.

There isn't anything I'd change about the last five years. I love my life that I've made with the man I married 5 years ago.

I love you, B. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!

Does your hubby have a moustache? It looks fancy. And scary at the same time. Eeek!

J said...

Melissa ~ That's his "I don't feel like shaving for a week" moustache. His face doesn't grow much hair, so he ends up with a pencil moustache!

Pin It button on image hover