Friday, September 2, 2011

What Were You Born To Do?




Y'all? Parenting is hard. Why didn't anyone tell me!? Apparently, people have known this for *decades*, but no one decided to tell me. Thanks for that.

I find myself saying things on a daily basis that I never thought I'd say. For instance, "stop sticking your hands down your pants" (remember, I have a *girl*), "don't yank on the cat's tail!", "don't put that in your mouth" and the grossest one to date, "we don't touch the dog's butt!!" I also say "no" and "stop that" eleventy million times a day.

Also? Potty training is going to kill me. Baby Butterbean gets the idea. She goes potty in her big girl potty very often. But, she'll say "I potty!" and we'll rush to the potty and then sit there for three hours. Five minutes after getting up, she screams, "I potty, I potty!!" and we rush to the potty, only to find that she was simply telling us that she peed in her diaper.

It's hard work, yo.

Plus? Those cute little babies turn into toddlers. And toddlers? Back talk. You tell them to do something, or stop something, or to go somewhere, and they look you in the face and tell you "No!" And for someone who needs to be in control of every aspect of her life, that shiz is hard!

They also go from being fabulous eaters, to eating nothing but fiddle sticks and blueberries over night. They will be perfect angels at home all day, and then pitch a fit the minute you go out into public for dinner. They want to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider a billion and one times a day, and read The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round a billion and two times a day. They get obsessed with a certain tv character or two *cough, Olivia and Blue, cough, cough* and want to watch them all day, every day.

They obsess about coloring nonstop, and want to "help" with everything you do. Only, their helping isn't really helping. You end up having to fold the laundry three different times.

But, despite all of these things? Despite desperately needing an ice cold Shiner at the end of most days, I wouldn't trade this for any amount of money in the world. I love my little Baby Butterbean more than anything and she makes me beam with pride every day. One minute I'm pulling my hair out because she just. won't. listen, and the next I'm snuggling her and singing You Are My Sunshine. Motherhood is the toughest, most frustrating, most stressful job I've ever had. But it's also the most rewarding, and by far my most favorite.

And even at the end of my most challenging days, when I kiss my little girl goodnight, and she says "lub you, mommy", I know that all the blood, sweat, tears, and extra loads of laundry are totally worth it.

I was born to be many things, but above all things, I was born to be a mother.

3 comments:

"Say What?" said...

It's unconditional love in the truest form, isn't it? And a lot of learning in the meantime.

*BTW, I have a 16yr old and an 11yr old. So Far, it doesn't get any easier. Good luck with that. LOL

Melissa said...

That's good you're enjoying being a mother (would kind of suck if you didn't :P).

I like being married. :)

Celia said...

aww so sweet! ...i'll stick to cats, they don't back talk me. okay, they do... but i pretend they are agreeing with me. :o)

Pin It button on image hover