Thursday, May 24, 2012

On Living in the Moment



The other day my girl, KB, and I were having a discussion about our lives, and she mentioned that lately she'd been trying to live more in the present. This intrigued me, so I asked her to elaborate. She went on to say that, instead of worrying about the future, she's been "showing up" and being fully present in whatever life throws her way.
What she said has stuck with me the last few days, and I can't stop thinking about it.
{via}

Living in the moment, not worrying about the future, that seems like such a beautiful way to live life. I know as a mom, even though I want to, I don't really live in the moment. My mind is constantly skipping ahead to dinner, or bedtime, or what our schedule looks like for the rest of the week. In fact, I already have things on my calendar for June. And I know it's not just moms that do this. I bet most bloggers I know would say they're the same way.

{via}
I mean, I get it, our lives are busy. We have full time jobs (and yes, being a stay at home mom or wife is a full time job!), we have blogs, we have social lives, friends, and families, and it can get a bit hectic at times. If you're anything like me you're a crazy person very organized and like to write everything down. My mind races 90 miles a minute with things to do. Laundry, dishes, work, playdates, grownup dates, my writing, twitter, facebook, meal plans, the list goes on and on, and my mind never shuts off. I hate this, because I'm so pre-occupied in my own head, I miss things that are going on around me. And that's just the small things I think about, don't even get me started on the big things that I worry constantly about. I'm so stressed about the future, I can't enjoy my day to day life.

{via}
But, I've decided this has to stop. I need to be more like KB, I need to live more in the present. More of a day to day kind of living. I need to push aside my worrying, and focus on what is happening right now, right here, right in front of me. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to stop obsessing over things, I'm just saying that for me, there needs to be a designated time for it. Maybe in the evenings when M goes to bed, or even naptime. And, since I only get two nights a week to spend time with The Hubs, I'm going to try to be more present with him those nights. No blogging, no writing, no social media, no texting, and no stressing about the future. Just be with him. I hate to admit it, but lately our relationship has suffered because of our schedules. We're tired and stressed, and we end up arguing and pouting like 4 year olds on his nights off.
I plan on blogging in the eveings and scheduling for the next day. Or, ya know, just blogging at work. I don't really need to be "in the moment" at work, do I?
So, you're probably going to be seeing less of me during the day, unless M's asleep, while I try to live more in the "now".  Because the present?


Is pretty darned sweet.

Do you spend too much time worrying about the future, or do you live in the moment?

Photobucket

12 comments:

Megan said...

Awesome post. I think almost everyone worries about the future to some extent. I really want to work on living in the moment and contentment with what I do have right now. I am always thinking about what's next. Thanks for the reminder!

Josie said...

Im the same way and I think it became worse when I became a mom. Its just so easy to do but I'm going to try this out too. I actually did the same thing while we were on vacation and it was so relaxing!

English Anderson said...

This is wonderful. And I believe it is a very important attribute to a healthy, fulfilled life. I hope it works for you, and becomes an easier more natural instinct after a while!

Josie said...

Im the same way and I think it became worse when I became a mom. Its just so easy to do but I'm going to try this out too. I actually did the same thing while we were on vacation and it was so relaxing!

Josie said...

Im the same way and I think it became worse when I became a mom. Its just so easy to do but I'm going to try this out too. I actually did the same thing while we were on vacation and it was so relaxing!

LWLH said...

I've tried to start doing that myself and it has been good for me and the hubs relationship. We get more QT together that isn't as filled with social media.

Scheduling posts and blogging on Fridays while he is at work has been good for me.

Courtney M said...

I loved this post! So true!

Definitely need to live in the moment more- I'm such a worrier too

oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, air max, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet stores, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, kate spade handbags, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

nike huarache, sac hermes, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, vans pas cher, ralph lauren, true religion outlet, air jordan, longchamp, hollister, air max pas cher, sac longchamp, north face, air max, barbour, sac burberry, mulberry, air max, michael kors pas cher, hogan outlet, vanessa bruno, polo lacoste, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, louboutin, michael kors, north face, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton uk, michael kors, nike tn, true religion outlet, longchamp, timberland, nike free pas cher, converse pas cher, sac guess, ray ban sunglasses, new balance pas cher, hollister, lululemon outlet online, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, air force, sac louis vuitton, nike free, nike roshe, oakley pas cher

oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, instyler, canada goose, reebok outlet, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, rolex watches, vans shoes, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, ugg boots, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, herve leger, hollister, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, ugg boots clearance, ugg boots, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, abercrombie and fitch, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg australia, mont blanc, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose uk, bottega veneta, p90x, asics running shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, uggs, marc jacobs, ghd

oakleyses said...

supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, oakley, hollister, converse, louis vuitton, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, ralph lauren, lancel, converse shoes, moncler, louboutin, timberland boots, baseball bats, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, ray ban, moncler outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, parajumpers, ugg, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, ugg, swarovski, hollister clothing store, moncler, rolex watches, gucci, vans, thomas sabo

oakleyses said...

supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, oakley, hollister, converse, louis vuitton, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, ralph lauren, lancel, converse shoes, moncler, louboutin, timberland boots, baseball bats, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, ray ban, moncler outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, parajumpers, ugg, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, ugg, swarovski, hollister clothing store, moncler, rolex watches, gucci, vans, thomas sabo

Pin It button on image hover