Monday, May 14, 2012

Surviving the Storm


I'm a little late in writing this, but I've been so swamped, I haven't had a chance to sit down and sort my thoughts.

Last Thursday, a tornado ripped through my tiny town. There was no warning, no tornado watch, the fire department didn't even have time to sound the emergency siren. We had been having bad weather all day, but there was no indication that a tornado was going to hit. It derailed a train, and destroyed our town's baseball and football fields. There are trees uprooted and huge branches scattered everywhere. I've seen much worse damage, but it's still devastating.

I wasn't scared at the time, simply because I wasn't 100% sure what was happening, but afterward, once it was confirmed, and we saw the destruction, I lost it. M's daycare was hit pretty hard, and I'm still having a hard time with the fact that she could have been there if I would have had to work that day. Her teacher, and a couple of other kids were there, though thankfully they are alright. No one was seriously injured, so we are all very, very blessed.

What amazes me the most, is the way our town has come together, and how everyone is refusing to let this affect them. Everyone is helping each other clean up debris, and pretty much the whole town came out Saturday night to our annual German festival, despite the fact that our streets are still lined with huge branches.

I've never had much pride in where I live, but I have to say, that's changing. I'm proud of the way we've all come together, and how we're all helping each other out. I hope we never have to go through that again, but I know that if we do, our town will come together, once again, and be there for each other. And if the tornado has taught me anything, it's that I'm very blessed. I held M way too much yesterday, but I couldn't help it, I was celebrating my third Mother's Day, and I realized that could be taken away from me at any moment. So, I'm begging y'all, hug your loved ones extra tight, and be thankful for your blessings, because you never know how long you'll have them for.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow - that sounds scary. Glad you're ok and indulging in the finer things of life - namely cuddles!!

Sarah
http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

Courtney M said...

This is one of those posts you start reading and goosebumps at the thought of such a scary thing happening and then you keep getting goose bumps because you're so touched by the kindness...Glad to hear you're ok and that you had a nice mother's day. Hang in there!!

Kendra said...

In Rhode Island we don't get bad storms at all. We had a hurricane last year and it was devastating. It was a wild experience but makes you appreciate your house and the safety so much more.

Tiffany @ Blabbering Thoughts said...

Love this :) I mean I hate that your town has gone through destruction but I love how it brings everything into realization. And not to mention, even more of a reason to be my neighbor.. We don't have tornadoes :)

tara said...

how terrifying!! so glad y'all are ok!

English Anderson said...

I think I've been through almost every natural disaster except for a tsunami. I can handle hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, floods, and hailstorms, but tornadoes scare the crap out of me. I couldn't even imagine the thought that my child could have been in a daycare that had been hit, or not even knowing that a tornado had touched down. I think we had tornadoes every spring weekend in Kentucky, and every single time I balled my eyes out and hid in the bathtub. Happy you and yours are okay, and that your community realizes that a group effort is better than individual!

English

B said...

I was thinking of you that night when I saw your town name come up on my news - so scary! I'm so glad you all are alright!!

oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, air max, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet stores, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, kate spade handbags, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

nike huarache, sac hermes, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, vans pas cher, ralph lauren, true religion outlet, air jordan, longchamp, hollister, air max pas cher, sac longchamp, north face, air max, barbour, sac burberry, mulberry, air max, michael kors pas cher, hogan outlet, vanessa bruno, polo lacoste, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, louboutin, michael kors, north face, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton uk, michael kors, nike tn, true religion outlet, longchamp, timberland, nike free pas cher, converse pas cher, sac guess, ray ban sunglasses, new balance pas cher, hollister, lululemon outlet online, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, air force, sac louis vuitton, nike free, nike roshe, oakley pas cher

oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, instyler, canada goose, reebok outlet, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, rolex watches, vans shoes, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, ugg boots, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, herve leger, hollister, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, ugg boots clearance, ugg boots, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, abercrombie and fitch, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg australia, mont blanc, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose uk, bottega veneta, p90x, asics running shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, uggs, marc jacobs, ghd

oakleyses said...

supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, oakley, hollister, converse, louis vuitton, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, ralph lauren, lancel, converse shoes, moncler, louboutin, timberland boots, baseball bats, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, ray ban, moncler outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, parajumpers, ugg, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, ugg, swarovski, hollister clothing store, moncler, rolex watches, gucci, vans, thomas sabo

Pin It button on image hover