Monday, August 27, 2012

What's In Your Fridge?


Hello my darlings! How was your weekend? Mine was nothing short of eventful, but that's another story for a different day! Today I've got a wonderful blogger guest posting for me. I've followed Abby from Dirt on the Rocks for as long as I can remember. She's funny, witty, and absolutely adorable. And today she's here, guest posting on my blog, and she's talking about something I have a hard time with every time I go to the grocery store, how to organize all that food in the fridge. Cause lawd knows I need a much better system than my current one of "just cram everything in there!" Here's to getting organized, y'all! 

If you are anything like me then that means you love to grocery shop, and at times you might go a bit overboard.. After a long day at work I love coming home to a stuffed fridge and cooking dinner - it helps me unwind and I really enjoy doing it.
Hi, my name is Abby and usually you can find me at Dirtontherocks.com and Bigboychronicles.com, but today J is giving me the opportunity to guest post here!
I wanted to share with you the dilemma I have had for years - my fridge. When I lived at home our fridge was always full of food, but my mom hated buying a lot of groceries because she always felt like they would go bad quickly.
Around my late teen years, I started cooking myself and I think that’s when my addiction to cooking and shopping started. Every time I go to the grocery store, I would get super excited about buying things for future “ideal” meals. This lead to buying more than we could eat in a week and eventually the food went bad and money wasted. No one likes to hear those words together.
When I moved in with my boyfriend, we bought a fridge. The fridge is your typical apartment fridge - it’s not that big. Our family of three often means a lot of groceries, so this can be a bit stressful! After getting home from the grocery store, we have packed bags just waiting to be put away - but where? Our main problems are our tiny fridge and lack of organization. It gets overwhelming, so we tend to just shove the groceries wherever there is space.
This is obviously a big no no because some food gets shoved to the back of the fridge and is often forgotten. Because of this, there would be moldy food that needed to be trashed and let’s not forget that mixing rotten food with fresh food is also very unhealthy. This can lead to food poisoning and no one wants to experience that!
Our refrigerator is the normal white fridge with two bins at the bottom with two racks in the middle. It has storage on the door, but it’s not a lot. The best solution I’ve found for our small fridge is organizing each rack and using bins for extra storage. There are clear, inexpensive ones that are perfect for this.
Another way of staying organized is categorizing food. I like to use the food group pyramid as a guide to organize my food.Obviously, keep the frozen goods in the freezer - that meat probably won’t do well in the refrigerator unless you plan to cook it the same day. You can also try adding labels to the bins you buy or you can simply add them directly to your racks and refrigerator.
The more you find ways to keep yourself organized, the better it will be in the long run. You’ll always find what you’re looking for and you won’t waste another cent on forgotten food!

Abby is 23 and a single mother living in Southern California trying to make ends meet. She is a freelance blogger whose clients include UMoveFree.com, an apartment-finding service for locating   downtown Fort Worth apartments. Abby loves spending time with her son and is constantly learning new things about him as each day passes by. In her blog, Dirt on the Rocks, Abby writes about food and life. Like many single moms, Abby finds that her life experiences are both daunting and inspiring, and her blog reflects these experiences.

5 comments:

Lissy Moore@Moorepinkplease.com said...

Great post! I very often forget of all the stuff that is shoved to the back and by the time I remember it is no longer usable. The fridge is one are I need work on.

oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, air max, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet stores, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, kate spade handbags, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

nike huarache, sac hermes, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, vans pas cher, ralph lauren, true religion outlet, air jordan, longchamp, hollister, air max pas cher, sac longchamp, north face, air max, barbour, sac burberry, mulberry, air max, michael kors pas cher, hogan outlet, vanessa bruno, polo lacoste, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, louboutin, michael kors, north face, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton uk, michael kors, nike tn, true religion outlet, longchamp, timberland, nike free pas cher, converse pas cher, sac guess, ray ban sunglasses, new balance pas cher, hollister, lululemon outlet online, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, air force, sac louis vuitton, nike free, nike roshe, oakley pas cher

oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, instyler, canada goose, reebok outlet, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, rolex watches, vans shoes, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, ugg boots, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, herve leger, hollister, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, ugg boots clearance, ugg boots, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, abercrombie and fitch, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg australia, mont blanc, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose uk, bottega veneta, p90x, asics running shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, uggs, marc jacobs, ghd

oakleyses said...

supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, oakley, hollister, converse, louis vuitton, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet store online, air max, ralph lauren, lancel, converse shoes, moncler, louboutin, timberland boots, baseball bats, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, ray ban, moncler outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, parajumpers, ugg, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, ugg, swarovski, hollister clothing store, moncler, rolex watches, gucci, vans, thomas sabo

Pin It button on image hover